What To Do If Your Key Breaks In The Lock
Being locked out of your home, car or office can be a pain, but what about when you break your key off in the lock? In the event that you should ever have this experience, we have outlined some tips for how to handle this situation. It may be possible to fix the problem on your own, but if not, we are always here to help!
Before you do anything
If you’ve broken the key that opens the door to your home, hopefully you are still able to gain access to your home because the key was inserted far enough to unlock the door. If not, at this point, do not attempt to stick the key further into the lock than it already is. That will make it more difficult to remove. If you are hoping to fix this problem yourself, use a spare key to enter another door of your home if it is an option. The more key that is protruding from the lock, the better chance you have of removing it from the lock.
Start by collecting some things from around your house or office:
Once you’ve reached the inside of your home or building. There’s a few things that may be helpful to collect for trying to remove the broken key from the lock.
- Tweezers: If the key piece is sticking out or close to the opening, tweezers can be the easiest way to remove the broken piece. However, if the piece is too far inside the lock, this may not be possible.
- Saw blades or hair pins: Any small, thin, metal items you can find may be helpful in retrieving the broken piece.
- Pliers: You may want to use a set of pliers to hold the metal pieces you are using to keep them more steady and give you greater accuracy.
- Very strong magnets: Most people do not have magnets strong enough to accomplish this around their home or office, but if you can find one, it’s worth a shot.
When to call a professional:
- When you’re in a hurry: While it may seem that calling a locksmith could be a time consuming process, if your key is lodged far into the lock, it may actually save you time for one of our experts to come. Whether you need a home, business or car locksmith service, we can arrive quickly in emergencies and can get the piece removed with professional equipment in no time.
- When you have tried and cannot get the key out: If you’ve tried everything you can and still cannot get the broken key out of the lock, not to worry. We are happy to help.
- If you’re going to need other locksmith services anyway: If you want to change the lock or have a new key made, you are going to require locksmith services anyway. Removing a small piece is not an expensive procedure and we can do everything at once. Our Locksmith Professionals will help save you time and money.
- If you think you may cause damage to the lock: When dealing with a house lock, car lock or ignition, any metal items you are sticking inside can affect the efficiency of the lock. Improper handling of a lock can cause it to be more difficult to operate or it could break entirely. Door locks can usually be replaced pretty simply by a professional by just changing the cylinder, but lock damage or ignition damage can be more expensive and difficult to fix. If you don’t think you are able to remove the key safely, please give us a call.
From homes to cars to offices, we have you covered no matter what. We provide emergency response for all sorts of situations and our professional team will respond quickly with all their equipment ready so you can get back to life as usual. We offer home safety assessments and the best office security. Let us help you with all your locksmith needs.